Are you looking for a dog-friendly game to play with your buddy in your free time? sploot has your back 🤗
Stair exercise is a great workout for the legs, shoulders, hips, and lower back muscles. It is more intense than running as each step requires the lifting up of a dog’s entire body weight through the height of the stair. Going down the stairs involves negative contraction which intensifies the workout greatly. Lastly, stair exercise helps a dog with coordination and agility.
Here’s how you can play:
- Find a good set of steps/stairs. At the bottom of the steps, ask your dog to sit/stand on your right side.
- Go up the stairs and make sure your dog is in a stay position.
- Once you reach the top stair, call your dog by saying "come".
- Go down the stairs using the same way as #2.
Benefits of stair exercise for dogs:
There are numerous benefits to including hill walking or stair exercise in your dog’s routine. These include;
- Strengthening exercise – helps to work muscle groups they may not normally get targeted such as legs, shoulders, hips, and lower back muscles, and also the core.
- Cardiovascular exercise – is a good cardio workout working the heart and lungs.
- Weight loss – has been shown to be one of the best weight loss exercises for dogs.
- Coordination and correct gaiting – helps to develop coordination and issues with the dog’s gait particularly going down the stairs.
Have fun teaching, and tell us if your dog learned this trick!
Happy splooting 🐶