The modern-day Diwali involves using firecrackers which might not be a good thing for our dogs as most of the dogs are sensitive to loud noises and become restless, run away and exhibit signs of anxiety or stress.
Stray dogs may get seriously injured because of accidents. Moreover, the poisonous gases and harmful particulate matter may lead to severe lung oedema in dogs.
They may accidentally chew the firecrackers, leading to vomiting and diarrhoea. Carelessness while bursting crackers can also cause severe burns, wounds or mutilation in dogs.
Maintaining a First Aid Kit is very important on these occasions. A First Aid Kit loaded with dressing material, antiseptics, analgesic and medicines is a must-have for every pet parent and animal lover.
Here's a video on the things that you must have in your First Aid Box for dogs. -
Bonus Tips -
- Keep your pet indoors
- Switch on music or television sets to distract them from loud noises.
- Give rigorous exercise to dogs during day time so that they fall asleep before the bursting of crackers. Cover them with blankets during sleep.
- Keep a first-aid kit ready with dressing material, antiseptics, analgesics and medicines.
- Secure the lost pet in a safe place till it is handed over to its actual owner.
- One must know the signs of anxiety/ stress and seek immediate veterinary intervention whenever needed.